Monday, June 30, 2008

The Luckiest And Not So Lucky!


I am sure most moms know how hard it is to get your baby to sleep through the night. The first 2 weeks after Jaxon was born I was lucky if he would sleep 2 hours straight at night and if I could even get him to bed before 2 am. Then by 3 weeks he worked his way up to sleeping two 4 hour strethches through the night. And I was thrilled about that. Now I can say at 1 month he is sleeping anywhere from 6 to 8 hours straight. I don't know how he did it but i do know that he has been sleeping great for about a week now! I have to be the luckiest mom!:)


And on to the unlucky part. For the past week and a half Jaxon has had a hard time keeping his food down. Each time he eats he would spit up just about everything. So this meant that I had to feed him pretty much every hour just to get him somewhat satisfied. :( I have been feeling like a cow because he has to eat so much. Finally Josh and I took him to the doctors because we knew something was not right. First the doctor told us that he might have the flu. Which I thought was weird because I didn't think the flu could last for over a week. He told us to only give him 1/2 oz of pedialyte every 15 minutes for 12 hours. This was torture! Everytime we gave it to him it would all come back up. He was starving by the time the 12 hours were over and I felt so bad. So again today I took him to the doctors and he lost 4 oz and the doctor thought it would be a good idea to treat him for acid reflux. I thought this all along but at first the doctor didn't agree with me. Maybe sometimes they should just listen to the mom! The medicine should hopefully help him so he's not in pain and so he can keep some of his food down. Poor little guy!

6 comments:

Tiffani said...

He is getting so big! I am ecstatic that Jaxon is ALREADY sleeping through the night, you are super lucky for sure. It is always hard when you think something is wrong but the good old doc won't listen...don't they know that we are always right?! Carson has the onesie that Jaxon is wearing in the picture, it is wierd to see the same outfit on a much smaller guy. He is seriously too cute!

Jenner said...

what a bummer. hope you can get it all figured out so he is not starving. on another note, those pics on the last post are great!

the straz fam said...

Hi! My Jackson had acid reflux too when he was a baby so here are a couple tips that worked for us... The doctor told me to keep him upright for a half hour everytime after he ate. He also told me to put the crib and changing table on an incline (I just put some books under one end to prop it up) Basically he was hardly ever laying down totally flat and it did seem to help. Good luck!
At least he is sleeping through the night already - woo hoo! : )

Unknown said...

Im so sorry. It does get better once the medicine kicks in!! Carson took Zantac, so make sure thats what you have, because i know that the other medicine they give doesn't work as well! Good luck! Try gripe water too. It helps soothe the stomach.

Leslie said...

Hope he is feeling better! Sick kids is so hard.

Megan said...

hey catherine...my friends baby had the same issue...and they were thinking it was acid reflux as well, but it was actually something else, i forget the name of it, but tis where there is an extra layer of muscle around the stomach that causes the food to always come back up. apparently it is very common in first born boys. my friends husband had the same thing. it requires surgery to fix, but its nothing too serious. maybe you should look into it just on case? ill find out what its called and get back to you, that way at least you can ask your doctor about it. good luck, though! im sorry its been so rough.